Jan 14, 2013, 2:12 PM EST
If you know me, you know my most frequent comment: goats munching snack chips are always hilarious. So when Ben Callner’s friend said that he had a funny goat, Callner knew what he had to do: enter the Doritos Crash the Super Bowl contest. Callner (via his behind-the-scenes YouTube video, seen below):
“So my buddy came in, and he literally just kind of off-handed said ‘Hey my goat eating and crunching on food is really funny.’ And I said ‘OK,’ that was a really random sentence, thank you. And so we Googled ‘goats eating chips’, and we cracked up.”
The rest is history (seen below).
This is the seventh year that Doritos has run this contest: in which amateur and pro filmmakers make their own 30-second Doritos commercials and send ‘em in, with five finalists chosen. Of those, two will air during the Super Bowl. And this year, the top vote-getter on the USA Today ad meter will get $1 million and a chance to work with Michael Bay on the next Transformers film.
Anyway, the second- and third-place ad meter finalists will get $600,000 and $400,000, respectively, and fourth and fifth will get $25,000 each.
Here are the five finalists:
In my humble opinion, the best are:
1. Goat 4 Sale.
2. Fetch. (Fake bears chasing humans is never not funny).
Behind the scenes at the goat commercial:
Here are some rejected Crash the Super Bowl Doritos commercials. I’ll add more as I find them:
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found