Jan 11, 2013, 8:19 PM EDT
To recover a cell phone stolen by a raccoon, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that’s all she wrote.
It happened on New year’s Day at the Okeeheelee Golf Course near West Palm Beachm Fla., where a golfer came to the clubhouse and reported that he’d lost his cell phone the day before. So employees rounded up the usual suspects — which in thios case consisted of Rocky, a raccoon well known for pilferage at the course. They tracked the iPhone4 using GPS, and when they pinged it they heard its locator tone sounding from the top of a tree on the second hole. The employee climbed the tree and found the phone in Rocky’s nest.
Other stuff the raccoon had stolen: a sandwich (still in its plastic container) and assorted food wrappers.
“He has a taste for open food items left in golf carts and shiny items,” said Okeeheelee General Manager Mac Hood, who helped find the phone. “The raccoon just saw something he liked and he went in there and grabbed it.”
The phone was returned to its grateful owner, but Rocky remains on the loose.
The phone still works, suffered no major scratches and as far as Acker can tell, Rocky didn’t make any calls.
Yes, raccoon-related cell phone bills can be expensive.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- Play Video: An early whistle takes goal away from Kings
- Play Video: Spurs take a commanding 2-0 lead
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins comeback to win Game 3
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks even series with Kings