Jan 10, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Last week we told you that the Lingerie Football League had a big announcement coming up, and here it is: no more lingerie. But don’t panic, sir: nothing much has really changed, except the name. Welcome to the Legends Football League.
As you can see in the photo here, if anything the ladies will be wearing even less when the new season rolls around this April. The frilly, underwear-type uniforms have been replaced by “performance wear”, and a slight redesign of the shoulder pads. Other than that, the biggest change is the name. And by calling it the Legends Football League, they don’t even have to change the acronym.
Press release from the league:
“This is the next step in the maturation of our now global sport. While the Lingerie Football League name has drawn great media attention allowing us to showcase the sport to millions, we have now reached a crossroad of gaining credibility as a sport or continuing to be viewed as a gimmick. In the coming years we will further establish this sport in the US, Australia, Europe and Asia as the most known form of American football globally. In order to reach the next milestone, we feel the focus has to be the sport and our amazing athletes”, said Mitchell S. Mortaza, Founder & Chairman, Lingerie Football League, LLC.
LFL Re-Brand announcement also includes:
– Performance wear replaces all lingerie aspects of uniform
– New design of logos removing any sexy female figures
– Redesign of shoulder pads to increase protection
– Brand tag line shifts from ‘True Fantasy Football’ to ‘Women of the Gridiron’
So boiling it down, they’ve eliminated the underwear and are now just using really skimpy uniforms. Not sure that counts as being legendary, but I could be wrong.
Twelve teams begin league play in April in the U.S., with expansion to Europe and Australia planned beginning in 2014. A four-team Canadian Lingerie Football League season just concluded in December.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found