NASCAR’s Michael McDowell takes 30-day break from Twitter and Facebook after consulting with Bible study group
Jan 10, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
Michael McDowell is not the greatest driver in the history of NASCAR, but he’s also not someone who I would cut off in traffic. He was 36th in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series for Phil Parsons Racing in 2012, which is well ahead of my ranking. We are, however, alike in one regard: we spend way too much time on social media.
McDowell says that one day he found himself updating his Facebook status as his 3-year-old son was asking him to go and play with him. That’s when he had a moment of epiphany:
“I was like, ‘Whoa, whoa, wait … I just gotta finish this,’ ” McDowell recalled. “Like it was important, like it had to get done.”
In the big picture, it wasn’t important. So when the topic of life’s distractions came up at a weekly Bible study McDowell and his wife, Jami, host at their home with other NASCAR drivers and their wives, McDowell made a decision: He would take a 30-day break from social media.
On Monday night, after the Bible study session had concluded, McDowell tweeted:
A 30-day social media fast? Does he realize this will include the Super Bowl, which is the most-tweeted sporting event of the year?
Most likely Jesus would approve of this. But the photo of the dead, bloody deer that McDowell displays on his Twitter page? Probably not so much.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games