Jan 9, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
If you still want to slap a commercial into the Super Bowl broadcast this year, that’ll be $4 million for 30 seconds, please. Just pay at the desk, and … oops, sorry, all sold out.
CBS Corp. CEO Leslie Moonves announced on Tuesday that all the commercials for Super Bowl XLVII (Feb. 3 in New Orleans) have been sold. With some spots going for $4 mil per 30 seconds (the average was $3.7 mil to $3.8 mil), they broke the previous record of $3.5 mil, set last year. The 2012 broadcast averaged more than 111 million viewers.
Among those ads will be omnipresent Anheuser-Busch InBev, which on Tuesday announced that it will roll out its first ad for Budweiser Black Crown during the Super Bowl. That’s their new amber lager specialty beer that will actually be available beginning Jan. 21.
Mr. Moonves, as Stuart Elliott reports, said room could still be found to include commercials for movie studios — which often wait somewhat longer than other marketers to decide whether to buy Super Bowl commercials — but at a price. “If one of those movie companies wants to come in and pay five or six million,” he said, “we will find room.”
According to Advertising Age, some of the celbrities to appear in Super Bowl ads this year will be Psy (why God, why??), Kate Upton (for Merceds-Benz), Usher, Danica Patrick and Kaley Cuoco from The Big Bang Theory. Re: Patrick, from GoDaddy.com: “We are doing something we’ve never done in a Super Bowl — we are repositioning sexy.”
Plus, Doritos will be running its “Crash The Super Bowl” contest for the seventh year in a row, in which amateurs submit their commercials and Doritos runs the best ones.
Also, this will happen:
Ford is rebranding Lincoln by calling the unit “Lincoln Motor Co.” and introducing a campaign that makes use of legendary president Abraham Lincoln.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Staal in agony after knee-on-knee hit