Jan 9, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
Ah! Half Scholes, half Shelvey!
If you don’t count Rome vs. Carthage and Donald Trump vs. Rosie O’Donnell, the soccer rivalry between Manchester United and Liverpool is possibly the most ancient and pronounced grudge match in history. The two teams meet in an EPL clash on Sunday, and Chevrolet makes note of the game with this bizarre commercial, which is possibly the most frightening thing I’ve seen on YouTube.
As you may know, Chevrolet is well entrenched in the Premier League — the car company has a $57 million deal with Man U that runs through 2021 (the Chevrolet logo will be on their jerseys beginning in 2014). And Chevrolet recently became the official club car sponsor of the Liverpool team.
So why not make a commercial in which Man U and Liverpool players’ faces are melded together as they recite identical dialogue? Sample YouTube comment:
Wait, why is everyone on the right side lying?
Which brings us to the controversy part. From Soccer Bible:
The commercial has sparked quite a backlash, with both sets of fans complaining about the video creating an unwanted solidarity between the two fierce rivals. Several fans have taken to Twitter to voice their disapproval. ‘What the f*** is this s***?! lol’, wrote @Mussiek1, while Gary Owens posted: ‘What on earth were Chevrolet thinking of?’ Thankfully Chevrolet thought better of pairing Suarez and Evra together!
And from Metro.co.uk:
Chevrolet have not made a comment about the video, but the PR own-goals look likely to continue, with several other videos planned in the next few months.
I’m not sure what it all means, because my idea of a rivalry is Cal-Stanford. I suppose the feelings run a bit deeper when your country has castles, moats and Stonehenge and stuff.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming