Jan 8, 2013, 10:09 AM EDT
There’s nothing more dangerous than a high-profile TV sports event that’s a blowout. That’s when broadcasters and cameramen scan the stadium for other things to hold the viewers’ attention, and on Monday night the Eye of Sauron settled on one Katherine Webb. And pretty much stayed there.
Webb’s number of Twitter followers before the game? 2,300. By the end of the game? More than 10,000. As of this writing? 146,551.
Webb of course is the reigning Miss Alabama, girlfriend of Crimson Tide quarterback AJ McCarron, and those were just the right credentials to captivate ESPN’s Brent Musburger. And so the BCS Championship quickly became the Katherine Webb show. This was Cameron-Diaz-feeds-popcorn-to-ARod times 1,000.
Musburger, who was born the same year that the Wizard of Oz first came out in theaters, nearly had a heart attack. Alabama owned a 14-0 lead in the first quarter when the 73-year-old first caught sight of Webb:
“You see that lovely lady there, she does go to Auburn, but she’s also Miss Alabama and that’s AJ McCarron’s girlfriend,” he said. “You quarterbacks, you get all the good looking women.
The meme only got stronger as the game wore on:
“What a beautiful woman. Wow. If you’re a youngster in Alabama, start getting the football out and throw it around the back yard with pops!” he told viewers.
Then the Twitter storm blew in:
Patriots’ receiver Donte Stallworth tweeted: “And now ‘AJ McCarrons’ is trending number one right now…not because of his play but because of his ol lady…. And Brent Musburger.”
Yahoo! Sports writer Jeff Passan tweeted: “Sources: A.J. McCarron’s girlfriend to seek restraining order from Brent Musburger at halftime.”
Georgia QB Aaron Murray tweeted that A.J. McCarron’s girlfriend “needs to become a Dawg fan.” The Alabama QB responds to Murray: “u don’t win enough bud!! #15.”
The Cardinals’ Darnell Dockett tweeted:
“[W]hen gave over [sic], lets go to wing stop then King of diamond,’
He then realized the tweet was public, and added that it was supposed to be a direct message to her. The tweets have now been deleted.
Much to the disbelief of her boyfriend, Webb also gained NBA star LeBron James as a follower.
“No way,” McCarron, 22, said repeatedly after learning about her new fan. “Man, I’m going to Tweet him and I’m going to get a follow. That’s messed up.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL