Jan 8, 2013, 5:23 PM EST
As we mentioned earlier, ESPN broadcasters Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit went a little ga-ga over crowd shots of Katherine Webb during Monday night’s BCS title game broadcast — she’s the girlfriend of Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron, and the reigning Miss Alabama.
In fact, according to ESPN, Musburger went overboard. Here’s a statement they sent to Business Insider today:
Have been asked on focus on @_KatherineWebb in BCS: We always try to capture interesting storylines and the relationship between an Auburn grad who is Miss Alabama and the current Alabama quarterback certainly met that test. However, we apologize that the commentary in this instance went too far and Brent understands that.
Webb, of course, is now an internet star, and McCarron didn’t seem to mind the attention she got. But ESPN apparently believes that Mr. Musburger went over the line with comments such as “Wow, I’m telling ya, you quarterbacks get all the good-looking women!”
Seemed like harmless fun to me, but then I’ve never been know for my taste.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found