Jan 7, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
And those were only two of the many things that happened at FIFA’s Ballon d’Or in Switzerland today … the big pro soccer MVP gala that’s a combination of ESPYs and Golden Globes. I can only imagine that Messi went to a designer and said “Make me look really odd,” and hey, mission accomplished. While the suit may not be a trend, handing Messi this trophy certainly is: he won it for the fourth consecutive year.
Among the lowlights: Spain’s Iker Casillas just couldn’t hang in there through the entire speech by Sepp Blatter. Either that, or he’s watching The Hobbit.
Also, Ronaldo was on stage for some reason, and kissed the FIFA World Cup mascot on the snout.
Other winners as voted by journalists, national coaches and captains, were U.S. forward Abby Wambach, women’s world player of the year; Del Bosque (Spain) men’s coach of the year, Pia Sundhage (U.S.) female coach of the year; and the Puskas Award for goal of the year to Slovakian striker Miroslav Stoch of Fenerbahce for his goal against Genclerbirligi in March (video here).
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found