Jan 7, 2013, 3:42 PM EST
It’s hard to believe that the Puppy Bowl turns nine this February — again it will be shown on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 3, prior to the big game between San Francisco and New England (oops … forgot the spoiler alert!). Of course among the rule changes in Puppy Bowl IX will be stricter enforcement of roughing the quarterback, as seen below. There is just no room for this kind of brutality in the Puppy Bowl.
The big news, however, is that Animal Planet is employing hedgehog cheerleaders for the big game. In the past they’ve used chickens and piglets, among other animals, so it was time for a change.
Plus … three words, my friends: Puppy hot tub.
The latest incarnation of the animal kingdom’s most-anticipated sporting event is receiving a few tweaks this year. In a first for the nine-year-old Puppy Bowl, the battling canines will be encouraged from the sidelines by a squadron of hedgehog cheerleaders. In another first, new Puppy Cam technology will put viewers on the field with “in-your-face” shots of snouts, tails and paws, while an off-field camera will capture substitutes warming up for the game in a special puppy hot tub.
As always, my Puppy Bowl viewing party is open to the public (no cops).
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found