Jan 4, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
Damn you, big toe! Victoria Azarenka is the first Belarusian player to win a Grand Slam in singles and was a bronze medalist at the Beijing Olympics, but she was no match for a pedicurist. The World’s No. 1 women’s tennis player was supposed to meet Serena Williams in the semis of the Brisbane International this morning, but had to withdraw 30 minutes before she was to take the court. Reason? Bad pedicure.
The defending Australian Open champion was floored by a minor procedure on an ingrown nail that infected her right big toe.
“It’s been there for about 10 days,” Azarenka said. “It’s just been getting worse a little bit. I had to get a piece of nail out of my toe because it was jamming into me and got infected.
“It’s something that’s very just really unfortunate but I had to do it. I was trying to minimise the pain with taping and everything. It got really infected and got really red, so we had to go and see the doctor. He had to open it.
“It just got infected from a bad pedicure experience.”
Fun fact: Azarenka is dating tennis player Sergei Bubka Jr, son of pole vaulter Sergey Bubka.
Azarenka withdraws before semifinal with Williams [NBC Sports]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found