Jan 4, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
Of course you remember Samantha Gordon, the nine-year-old girl from Utah who dominated all the boys in her youth football league this past season. Her dad made a highlight video of Sam’s gridiron exploits, and it went viral, as they say.
So the kid went on a publicity tour where among her stops were Good Morning America and Sunday NFL Gameday, the latter where she tackled Marshall Faulk. She also got invited to a New York Giants game, where she met NFL commish Roger Goodell. Then, this happened:
Brent Gordon [Samantha's father] said the commissioner alluded to the possibility of a Super Bowl invitation during their visit to New York. The Gordons ran into him while touring the NFL offices the morning after the Giants game.
“As we were leaving, Roger Goodell walked in and said, ‘Sam, would you like to go to the Super Bowl? Well, maybe you should ask Santa Claus,’” Brent said.
Sam and her family got the invitation on Thursday.
“[Goodell] thinks she is an inspirational story for football, youth football, and the participation of girls in sports,” said NFL spokesperson Greg Aiello, who confirmed the invitation.
It was one of a dozen or so travel opportunities Gordon has received since her father, Brent, posted a video of her 1,911-yard season with a Salt Lake City area youth football team. In it, she breaks through defenders and speeds downfield.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: Traditions of the Preakness Stakes
- Play Video: NBC Sports Live Extra tutorial
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT