Jan 4, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
As you know, Toronto may need a new mayor soon — the man currently in that job, Rob Ford, was ousted last month for violating municipal conflict of interest laws. Ford is still in office while the ruling is being appealed, but a new election may take place later this month.
If that happens, Jose Canseco would like your vote. Wait, what?
He sure sounded serious on Wednesday when he responded to a Milton political consultant who urged him to run for council.
“Can’t do enough on council,” Canseco, 48, wrote on Twitter. “I hear you are getting rid of mayor Ford on Monday. I love Toronto and will be glad to replace him.”
He outlined his potential platform in tweets to the Star at 1:17 a.m. on Friday. “Ford too much trouble to be effective,” he wrote. “Gotta fix budget, traffic, get new $ not from taxes, get more new businesses, and help schools.”
“u need someone from outside the system to fix things otherwise you get the same ideas that dont work over and over from same people.”
Like Ford, Canseco refused to tell the Star how he would raise needed revenue without raising taxes. “Cmon,” he wrote. “I live in vegas you figure it out!”
Of course, being an American citizen who was born in Cuba, Canseco would be ineligible to run for political office in Canada. But in one of his tweets he said he would find a way to “work out the citizen thing.”
Canseco played for the Blue Jays in 1998 and recorded a team record 159 strikeouts.
His agent, Jose Melendez, added in an email that Canseco is not taking the matter lightly.
“He is serious about a run but as you know he doesn’t know the procedure for citizenship,” Melendez wrote. “He loved Toronto and he is actually very respected in Canada. He feels he can make a difference.”
And it wasn’t even one of his New Year’s resolutions!
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants
- Play Video: Spurs take a commanding 2-0 lead
- Play Video: An early whistle takes goal away from Kings
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks even series with Kings
- Play Video: Vikings enhance home-field advantage
- Play Video: Kerr: LeBron vs. Jordan comes down to rings
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins comeback to win Game 3