Jan 4, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
As you surely know, paleontologists on a dig in the Bahamas recently unearthed a new species of tattoo on the arm of New York Jets coach Rex Ryan — and by this I mean a New York Daily News photographer took a picture of it at poolside. This has caused great mumbling and gnashing of teeth on the internets, as the tattoo appears to be of a woman — possibly Ryan’s wife — wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey, and nothing else.
The horror … the horror.
But what, besides Mrs. Ryan and Mr. Sanchez, could have inspired this inky creation? Well, according to Business Insider, it may have been famed sports illustrator Robert Ullman.
See the illustration above? That’s an Ullman. He’s the artist who is rather noted for his depictions of buxom lasses wearing naught but large sports jerseys — usually of the hockey variety. Here’s a good article on his work. Ullman also writes the blog Atom Bomb Bikini.
Is the Ryan tattoo a cheap Ullman ripoff? BI contacted Ullman for his opinion.
“Maybe,” Ullman told us, “any rate, he should’ve asked me to recommend a better [tattoo] artist!…She appears to be missing a hand.”
So Ullman doesn’t seem too broken up over the whole thing. I would be — but only because the Jets and Sanchez had such a bad season. Anyway, I guess we can be thankful it wasn’t a Tebow tattoo.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found