Jan 3, 2013, 10:11 AM EST
So remember when some nut threw a bottle at Usain Bolt just prior to the Olympic 100 meter final? He was quickly arrested and thrown in Olympics Jail, and is just now coming to trial at the Old Bailey. His name is Ashley Gill-Webb, 34, and as you recall, he happened to be sitting next to judo champion Edith Bosch, who gave him a whack before he was arrested.
According to testimony, Gill-Webb, 34, pushed his way to the front of an exclusive seating area without a ticket and began shouting at Bolt, with one of the quotes being: “Usain you are bad, you are an a*****e.”
The man just exudes charm, doesn’t he?
He then threw the beer bottle as the race — which Bolt went on to win in 9.63 seconds — started at the Olympic Stadium on August 5.
Gill-Webb denies using threatening words or behaviour with intent to cause harassment, alarm or distress, as well as an alternative charge of using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour or disorderly behaviour within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress.
That will be for a man in a powdered wig to decide, Mr. Gill-Webb.
Yep, this is pretty much my favorite photo from the Beijing Olympics. It’s as if the man is saying “Where should we put this bottle? Oh, I know …”
Fellow witnesses described seeing Gill-Webb shouting at the finalists, hurling insults at Bolt, fellow Jamaican sprinter Yohan Blake, and US sprinter Justin Gatlin.
Student Farzin Mirshahi said she heard him yell: “Believe in Blake, no Usain.”
Her brother Kiya Mirshahi, also a student, said he heard Gill-Webb shout: “Usain, no, Justin you are a druggie, believe in Blake, no Usain, no.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found