Jan 2, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Confession time: I love the Stanford Band. They are an oasis of non-conformity in a desert of military-style lockstep banality. I love the fact that the university which gave us Herbert Hoover and Condoleezza Rice has also given us this. And this.
My favorite Stanford Band moment? It may be 1990, when they were suspended for their halftime show at Oregon, where they spelled out the word “pot” on the field and called out the state for environmental misdeeds. Announcer: “Mr. Spotted Owl! Mr. Spotted Owl! Your environment has been destroyed, your home is now a roll of Brawny, and your family has flown the coop. What are you going to do? `Me, I’m going to Disneyland!’”
So in retrospect, the Stanford Band’s halftime show at the 2013 Rose Bowl on Tuesday was pretty tame stuff. Stanford was leading Wisconsin 17-14 when the band took the field and performed a show entitled “Ode to Cheese”. This included their normal disjointed antics and weird costumes (see photo), which tend to scare old people and those from the Midwest. Some viewers then took to Twitter to register their disgust.
But if we’re relying on our marching bands for national defense, aren’t we pretty much screwed anyway? Just asking.
The Stanford Band is The Rocky Horror Picture Show in an Oklahoma! world. May that never change.
Post-game shenanigans below. I see that the Stanford Tree still has its wonderful Fall foliage.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires