Dec 30, 2012, 2:24 PM EDT
Clearly, crime doesn’t pay as one supermarket thief found out when he tried to steal some vodka from a local supermarket chain in Crestwood, Missouri and ended up getting tackled by a former MMA fighter.
The fighter’s name is Jesse Finney who runs a couple of MMA training sites in the area and happened to be in the right place at the right time to stop the robber from getting away with the liquor:
Finney saw the male suspect tussle with a female employee inside the Crestwood Schnucks. That got his attention. As the suspect tried to run out the entrance, Finney pinned the suspect to the ground until Crestwood police arrived.
“He was still trying to fight me saying some choice words,” said Finney. “He wasn’t getting up. I can promise you that.”
Finney says the suspect had seven bottles of vodka under his coat.
Finney was 6-1 during his MMA career and he believes that his martial arts training helped him in the situation:
“In the martial arts, it teaches you discipline and respect. If I wasn’t disciplined, I probably would have hurt the guy. [...] Instead, I took him down and a bottle broke in his jacket.” he explains.
The thief whose name was not released to the press was charged with robbery of items being less than $500 dollars.
MMA Fighter tackles shoplifter [Fox St. Louis]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found