Dec 28, 2012, 10:35 AM EST
Things you didn’t know (OK, actually things I didn’t know): Dec. 28 is Spain’s equivalent to April Fool’s Day. In fact, many Spanish-speaking countries use that day — called The Day of the Innocents — to fool each other with hilarious pranks and hijinx. And some are more hilarious than others.
Here we have FC Barcelona soccer star Gerard Pique and his girlfriend, singer and “Voice” mentor Shakira, who thought that it would be fun to tell everyone via Twitter that that couple had a baby. Apparently, though, it’s not true … as the tweet went out last night, Day of the Innocents Eve.
Initially the first tweet caused waves of interest from news outlets, but when Shakira herself failed to also tweet the good news — and Pique went silent for the next 11 hours with no follow up — it appeared that the news might be a bit premature. His most recent post, actually noting the “prank” day, seems to confirm that he was just joking.
The English translation of the tweets:
17 hours ago
Since our son was born! We are very happy! Thanks to all for your messages.
6 hours ago
It has a name! His name is Innocent! Happy April Fools Day to all!
Great. Now what am I going to do with this Halo Sleepsack?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found