Dec 27, 2012, 11:27 AM EDT
Oh, you’ve hit on one of my pet peeves: the dreaded fan-who-won’t-sit-down at a sporting event. Surely you’re familiar with the Chain Reaction From Hell. That’s when you’re at a game and something exciting is happening, and someone stands up. That causes the person behind that person to stand so that they can see, and then the person behind that person stands, and so forth. Pretty soon the entire section is up, except for me, who refuses to rise out of stubbornness. As a result I have not seen a scoring play in any live sporting event since 1989.
Apparently this is a huge problem in soccer, which is strange because nothing much ever happens in soccer, right? But its fans spend so much time standing that some clubs have special sections without seats. Manchester City is considering bringing back its ‘terraces’, as it calls those sections, because its fans just won’t take a seat.
But Sunderland, another Premier League squad, has a slightly different approach (see below).
Yep, the team has taped up the seats of fans who refuse to sit — suspending the season tickets of 38 of the most egregious offenders.
It said it has received an “increasing number of complaints”, particularly from fans in the South Stand, which say the game is being spoiled by others who stand throughout the 90 minutes.
Thirty-eight fans have been ejected from the Stadium of Light so far, compared to just 20 last season, the club reports.
Supporters of those who stand say that forcing fans to sit takes all of the energy from the stadium, and ruins the atmosphere — in essence making it an LA Dodgers game. But if everyone’s just going to stand during a match, why have seats at all?
By the way, this applies to the movies as well, where I am routinely stuck sitting behind the tall guy who blocks the screen. “Excuse me Mr. Lincoln, can you remove your hat? I see there’s a seat open in the balcony, perhaps you’d prefer sitting up there?”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- Play Video: Spurs take a commanding 2-0 lead
- Play Video: Vikings enhance home-field advantage
- Play Video: An early whistle takes goal away from Kings
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks even series with Kings
- Play Video: Kerr: LeBron vs. Jordan comes down to rings
- Play Video: Dustin Brown shaken up after collision