Dec 26, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
Tributes to the young shooting victims in the Newtown, Conn., grammar school massacre continue to pour in from the sporting world, and this is one of the most heartfelt. In their game against Wofford on Saturday, the Xavier men’s basketball team replaced the school name on the fronts of their jerseys with the words Sandy Hook — for the school where the shootings occurred.
The jerseys are being auctioned, with proceeds going to help the families of the victims. Coach Chris Mack tweets:
Chris Mack @CoachChrisMack
Love for you to help us support the town of Newtown, CT. I urge you to make a bid. Hug your kids. Help if you can!!!
Meanwhile, Virginia Tech released a photo of the helmets the Hokies will be wearing for their tilt with Rutgers in the Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando, Fl., on Friday. The helmet decal is an orange-and-green ribbon — the colors of Va. Tech and Sandy Hook Elementary, respectively, in tribute to shooting victims at both schools.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million