Dec 23, 2012, 2:28 PM EST
Earlier today, Manchester United’s Robin Van Persie was minding his own business during a Premier League game against Swansea until he nearly had his head taken off by a kick.
It happened in the 74th minute of play as Persie was on the ground tangled with a Swansea player as play had been whistled dead by the referees.
Swansea defender Ashley Williams was standing behind Persie and decided to unleash a kick that drills Van Persie right in the noggin:
Williams received a yellow card for his actions but if you asked Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, Williams deserved something much worse:
“(Williams) should be banned for a long time because that was the most dangerous thing I’ve seen on a football field for many years.
“It was absolutely deliberate. The whistle has gone, the game has stopped and he has done that right in front of the referee, he could have killed the lad.
Below is video of Ferguson’s reaction:
Robin Van Persie takes soccer ball to the head [Sports Grid]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found