Dec 23, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
Some golfers go entire lifetimes without getting a hole-in-one but one Tennessee man at the beginning of December pulled off the rare feat of getting two in a single round of golf.
76-year-old Sam Jones of Nashville was playing with his friends (Milton Frazier and Robert Abney) in his usual Wednesday senior group at Windtree Golf Course in Mount Juliet, Tennessee.
Sam’s first hole-in-one came using a 4-iron on the 120-yard fifth hole and Jones wasn’t sure that he got it:
“I don’t see long distances very well, and thankfully I had two other guys playing with me. I hit the ball straight at the green and saw it hit and going toward the hole,” Jones said. “I couldn’t make it out going in the hole, but both of those guys said, ‘It’s in the hole,’ and there was a group beside the green at the tee for hole No. 6 that saw it.”
Only a few holes later on the 125-yard eleventh, Jones pulled out the same 4-iron and nailed another beautiful shot that somehow found the bottom of the cup:
“I was just kind of dumbfounded, I guess,” Jones said of his reaction to the second one going in. “I thought it was going to be short, but it hit the green about middle of the way and rolled up into the hole.”
Said Frazier, “I was just beside myself. It is just an unbelievable feat. If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn’t believe it — I saw it and it is still hard to believe.”
In terms of how rare this feat is, the odds of getting two holes-in-one in a single round is 67 million to 1. While most might boast about their accomplishment, Jones is just happy to have it happen to him:
“The fact that I’m even able to get out there and play is good to me — I just love being there,” says Jones.
76-year-old golfer gets two holes-in-one [USA Today]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'