Dec 21, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Oh, Texas …
Now that we can forget the Mayans and their prophecy of doom, it’s time to turn our attention to the real menace: ping pong. ARE YOUR CHILDREN SAFE? Your serve, Texas Republican Dist. 12 Representative Kyle Kacal.
It all happened during an interview with Maggie Kiely, a reporter for The Eagle of Bryan-College Station, Texas, on Wednesday:
Kacal echoed a common nationwide argument that guns don’t kill people, people kill people.
“I’ve heard of people being killed playing ping-pong — ping-pongs are more dangerous than guns,” he said. “Flat-screen TVs are injuring more kids today than anything.”
Except that it’s hard to take over a school while carrying a Panasonic 32-inch Widescreen.
Kacal probably realizes this now: on Thursday, he was furiously backpeddling. Excerpt, from his Facebook page:
“During a recent interview with a reporter from The Eagle newspaper regarding gun crime in America and the impact it has on citizens, I mentioned other incidents that cause injury to children every year. In no way were the comments intended to diminish the absolute horror of what occurred in Connecticut last week.”
But unless he was misquoted, he actually said “Ping pong(s) is more dangerous than guns.” Aside from the comical use of the “s” at the end of the word “pong”, that’s quite clear and easy to interpret. Why is a followup press release needed?
Armed and dangerous
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona