Dec 19, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT
Following petitions charging some Ultimate Fighting Championship participants as being “sexist and pro-violence”, the U.S. Marines have allowed their sponsorship contract with UFC to expire, according to Stars and Stripes. The decision came five months after the Nevada-based UNITE HERE union, forming a coalition of veterans, gay rights advocates and anti-violence organizations, launched a campaign to convince the Corps to sever ties with UFC.
Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, who died on Monday, was a supporter of the union. Inouye was a Medal of Honor recipient who served in the U.S. Army during World War II. The union is next setting its sights on Anheuser-Busch to break with the UFC.
In an email sent to the site Government Executive on Monday, spokesman Maj. John Caldwell said in part:
“The Marine Corps continues to stress strong personal values in markets that are viewed by young men and women who are interested in military service
Marines Corps spokesman Caldwell placed the decision in the context of new planning guidance issued by the commandant, Gen. James Amos, “that we will ‘improve diversity representation throughout our Corps.’ ”
The UFC, which has received $4.5 million in sponsorship revenue from the Marine Corps, claims that the cancellation has more to do with union organizing efforts than with ideology. But there is no doubt that the UFC has a lot of work to do when it comes to its image. And when Daniel Inouye lent his name to the cause against the league, it was basically game over. UFC fighters may be tough, but no one messes with a real war hero.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong