Dec 19, 2012, 10:05 AM EDT
Yep, just what the world needs right now — a Justin Bieber-Manny Pacquiao feud.
Our story so far: Following Pacquiao’s knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez, Bieber posted photos on his Instagram account of Pacquiao laid out on the canvas. Bieber apparently reposted Photoshops of the photos — one in which the Disney lion Simba was seen leaning over Pacquiao, with the caption, “Dad, wake up!”. In another, Michael Jackson is seen in a pose from Smooth Criminal.
Remember: Bieber is 18. You’re supposed to be an idiot at that age. But when you have more than 4 million Instagram followers, things like this tend to cause a ruckus (some of the comments with the photos were … not kind). Pacquiao fans were unamused.
And that includes pretty much the entire population of the Philippines.
Indignation over Bieber’s insult reached the Philippines Congress, with seven law-makers filing a resolution demanding an apology from the singer for the “distasteful comments … lest he be declared persona non grata”.
“Mr. Bieber should have known that the Hon. Pacquiao has reached his stature as such as a result of sheer hard work, determination and firm belief in God, and despite such stature best exemplifies humility and grace even in defeat,” the congressmen said.
Pacquiao’s reaction? He said he “would pray for Justin Bieber.”
“If they were Beliebers I know they wouldn’t leave my side over [a] boxing opinion I have.”
I fail to see what the opinion is, but one thing is clear: that Philippines tour isn’t going to happen.
It should be noted that Bieber is a sports enthusiast who counts Floyd Mayweather as a friend. But even Mayweather has been classy with his comments concerning the Marquez-Pacquiao result. As someone who has taken a large amount of ridicule himself, Bieber should know that kicking a guy when he’s down is not cool.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings