Dec 18, 2012, 1:37 PM EDT
My mom was a hospital admitting nurse, so I was never allowed to have a skateboard as a child — I was covered in bubble wrap each morning until my 12th birthday. Pro skateboarding legend Tony Hawk takes a bit of a different approach to parenting.
Hawk posted Instagram photos on Monday of himself skating with his 4-year-old daughter, Kadence, in his 5,000-foot concrete backyard skate park. Hawk is seen carrying the girl, and swinging her by the arms, as he skates … and she’s conspicuously not wearing a helmet. This did not sit well with some of his followers. Sample:
“Crash, split, blood! Put a helmet on her, moron!”
Helmets? Who needs helmets? Accidents NEVER happen and superstars never fall down. it’s a one in a million hot if she falls and cracks her skull. Nothing a little duct tape won’t hold together. #helmetsafety
One more from yesterday. For those that say I endanger my child: it’s more likely that you will fall while walking on the sidewalk than I will while skating with my daughter.
And from Reddit:
He obviously underestimates my walking skills.
The vast majority of the comments on Hawk’s Instagram account were positive, as one would expect. Fanboys tend to be that way.
Earlier this year Hawk posted a photo of Kadence duct-taped to a wall.
Look, I’m not going to get into the specifics of this debate, but I will say that Hawk is forgetting something very important. He may think this is safe due to his skill, and he may be right. But what about all the kids and adults he’s influencing by posting the photos? As someone who does a lot for charity and works with kids and builds skate parks for the underprivileged, Hawk is well aware of his great influence on his fans. This is not setting a good example. How’s he going to feel if this inspires someone to try this with their younger brother, and it ends in tragedy?
But then, I spent my childhood in bubble wrap, so what do I know?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?