Dec 17, 2012, 9:44 PM EST
On Sunday the NFL was involved in some amazing, heartfelt tributes to the victims of the Sandy Hook shootings, among them the Patriots wearing helmet decals in honor of Sandy Hook Elementary School, and several teams observing a moment of silence in honor of the victims. But the most telling tributes are the spontaneous ones, such as the Giants’ Victor Cruz scrawling the words ‘Jack Pinto, My Hero’ on his shoes in honor of one of the young victims.
Cruz said he called the boy’s family after hearing he was a Giants fan and was told they planned to bury him in one of Cruz’s No. 80 jerseys.
“I don’t even know how to put it into words,” Cruz said. “There are no words that can describe the type of feeling that you get when a kid idolizes you so much that unfortunately they want to put him in the casket with your jersey on. I can’t even explain it.”
And then there’s this from tonight’s Monday Night Football game: the Titans’ Chris Johnson wrote the name of every Sandy Hook victim on his shoes.
It may be only a game, but once and awhile we’re reminded that there are some special people who play it, and they help remind us of the things that are really important.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found