Dec 17, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
These are tough financial times for Greece, so to keep afloat, some sports teams have to resort to drastic measures. Greek soccer teams have reached out recently to such sponsors as a brothel, and in this case, a mortuary.
Yep. An amateur team in Trikala, Palaiopyrgos FC, has secured a funeral parlor as a sponsor. Their jerseys? Black, of course, with a cross as a logo.
Because of objections from the local authorities, the large purple cross must be covered with masking tape for matches, although it frequently peels off and nobody complains.
“I like the outfit,” says midfielder Haris Bakogiannis.
“The cross makes our opponents fear us – and nobody has ever worn something like it, so we’re famous now.”
Any port in a financial storm? Look, I don’t see how this is any worse than beer or cigarette ads in stadiums.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- NBA: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Lukas: 'I get paid to spoil dreams'
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks