Somebody find us a faster horse! Double amputee sprinter Oscar Pistorius outruns Arabian horse (VIDEO)
Dec 14, 2012, 5:32 PM EDT
The horse population failed to comment after one of its brethren was beaten by Olympic sprinter (and double leg amputee) Oscar Pistorius on Wednesday when he outraced an Arabian horse in a Qatar fundraiser to demonstrate that, “being disabled does not have to hinder ones dreams”.
Especially if one’s dream is to outrun a horse.
I guess this is impressive and all, but pit me up against a slow enough horse and I could outrun one too.
Though Pistorius, 26, and a Paralympic gold medal winner, got a slight head start in front of the horse, which also stumbled out of the gates, he managed to beat the four-legged animal by a few seconds.
“It wasn’t about who won today,” Pistorius, a double amputee, told reporters after the race. “It was just about coming out here, really just showing people that those with disabilities are not to be stereotyped against.” The race was held as part of the “Definitely Able” campaign launched earlier this month by the Qatar Olympic and Paralympic Committees.
“Having the Arab horse out here, which is a symbolization of strength and power in this region, to be able to do a showcase event like this, is a lot of fun,” Pistorius said. “Hopefully that will do a lot to change the perceptions of people with disabilities in this region.”
It may be a symbolization of ‘strength’ and ‘power’, but that horse needs to work on his speed. Get in shape, horse! And stop loafing out the gate, you’re making your kind look bad. GIDDYUP!
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games