The Lonely Guy: one fan shows up to root on Italian Serie A soccer team, still can’t find beer vendor (video) (with update)
Dec 12, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Goal! And the fan goes wild!
Udinese Calcio had to travel 320 miles to play UC Sampdoria in an Italian Serie A soccer game on Monday, which seriously impacted their fan attendance. In fact, just one guy showed up, but he did his best to root on his side.
As I look over your sea of face …
You’ll be glad to know that the Samp fans took pity on our lone hero’s plight and cheered for him all night, with the Udinese fan returning joyful waves throughout the game as his side ran out 0-2 winners.
Antonio Di Natale scored Udinese Calcio’s second goal, and according to the Getty Images cutline, “salutes the fans” afterward. But that should have read “salutes the fan”. Check out his wave to the fan following his goal, at the 1:30 mark below.
That fan deserves a prize for his loyalty. Perhaps the team could give him a jacket.
UPDATE: The man’s name is Arrigo Brovendani.
Brovendani is a wine merchant and happened to be in the area on business, so he showed up and sat in the designated section for away fans. Because of violence in Italian soccer, metal fencing separates the two groups of fans. So Brovendani had to sit in the cage by himself, he told Udine Today:
“Once I arrived at the stadium I found this to be the only fan! At that point the steward wanted me to sit in the stands, but I insisted on going in the away end, since I had paid for it. So I opened the ‘cage’ and I accommodated.”
The home fans offered him coffee, invited him out for drinks, and wished him Merry Christmas, according to the BBC.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead