Dec 12, 2012, 5:27 PM EST
According to my records, the two players pictured here are Kate Marshall (17) and Sara Brady of your 2012 Canadian LFL champion British Columbia Angels. Now that the season’s over (all five games of it), they have time for a cause close to their heart: pestering folks in downtown Vancouver who wear fur. From The Peta Files:
And when a woman in a ridiculous fur hat got snippy with them, the classy lassies snapped right back, politely telling her that while they may choose to take a beating on the field, animals who are killed for their fur would definitely choose not to be beaten, electrocuted, or skinned alive.
Just a hunch, but I have a feeling it really wasn’t very polite.
It was all part of PETA’s “tackle cruelty: bench fur” campaign, of which other LFL players have also taken part in the past. While I don’t doubt that the ladies truly believe in the cause (as do I, actually), I also realize that this is good publicity for the league during the off season. It’s marketing moves like this that lead me to believe that the LFL is here to stay.
Wait … aren’t they tossing around the “pigskin”? Ahhhh!
Photos courtesy of PETA.
UPDATE: Received this email Thursday morning:
Greetings from PETA! We wanted to pass along our thanks for your coverage of the Lingerie Football League’s participation in our anti-fur campaign (and for your personal anti-fur stance). We can also reassure you that the football used in the Vancouver demonstration was made from synthetic materials, not “pigskin” (or cow’s skin). Many synthetic alternatives to leather are available, and where better to find a cruelty-free football than at a PETA demonstration?
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found