Taylor University’s Silent Night Game happened, with drive-by Santa and gratuitous Gangnam Style (video)
Dec 11, 2012, 11:25 AM EST
It’s still one of the coolest basketball traditions anywhere, despite the fact that this year it was infected by the scourge of Gangnam Style. Taylor University (Upland, Indiana) once again staged its annual Silent Night Game, in which a capacity basketball crowd stays absolutely silent until the 10th point is scored, and then erupts in bedlam.
We’ve written about this before (see previous years’ Silent Night highlights here), and the tradition has become so well known that ESPN now covers it, and Justin Bieber tweeted about it in 2011.
Additions in 2012: Santa being bulled in a cardboard sleigh by guys in reindeer costumes … Donald and Daisy Duck … Gangnam Style halftime free-for-all … silent cheering.
The Trojans beat Akron-Wayne, 90-58. Casey Coons, now a senior, has scored the 10th point in four straight Silent Night games.
“Every year there’s always a huge buzz around campus, even the whole week building up to it,” Coons said. “With it being such a small campus, the vast majoirty of people you see dressed up are people that you know. A lot of the guys give spoiler alerts leading up to it.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found