Dec 11, 2012, 10:07 AM EDT
You had me at “donkey cheese.”
Just as in the U.S. you had your silver barons and your railroad tycoons, in Serbia you have people getting rich in slightly different ways. Boys, we’ve struck donkey cheese! We’re millionaires! So Novak Djokovic is not only a great tennis player, but he’s also a savvy businessman. The Wimbledon champ has cornered the market on donkey cheese in his native Serbia, and is set to make a killing on the deal.
Djokovic owns a chain of restaurants, and donkey cheese is one of the most expensive taste treats in the world — delicious on burgers, or just on a cracker. A donkey only produces 1/20 of a gallon of milk a day (just try to get more — good luck), and it takes three gallons of donkey milk to make one pound of cheese. And since a pound of donkey cheese sells for more than $550, you get why Djokovic is buying it all.
Here’s the finished product. I think I love that photo.
Fun facts: Donkey’s milk has 60 times more vitamin C than cow’s milk, and is better for you. Unless you’re the one doing the milking.
Serbian donkey cheese is considered to be among the best in the world. The Telegraph:
Unlike the posh US producers of the other foods the cheese now snapped up by the tennis ace is made on a donkey farm in Serbia, in Zasavica, that also provides the name of the company.
Slobodan Simic, the manager at Zasavica, said the secret of the cheese’s great taste was the fact that it was produced from milk taken from donkeys raised on one of Serbia’s most famous wildlife and nature reserves.
Yes, free range donkey cheese.
Simic said they agreed to the sale because the tennis ace was a great ambassador for their product.
Then, this paragraph happened:
Other expensive cheeses include a Swedish moose cheese which costs around £630 per kilogram, and Caciocavallo Podolico, a cheese produced from the milk of a rare Italian breed of cow that only produces milk during May and June.
Of course it won’t be long before we get a reality TV series about people who milk moose for cheese. Can’t wait for that.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Gronk has successful surgery
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'