Dec 11, 2012, 1:24 PM EST
Remember former Nebraska forward Charlie Rogers, who back in August said that she was tied up by intruders, who carved anti-gay slurs into her skin? On Monday she was found guilty of filing a false police report: the court believing investigators who said that Rogers either cut herself, or willingly allowed others to do it.
Rogers, who is openly gay, still maintains her innocence. But on Monday she pleaded no contest to the charges.
“She does maintain her innocence,” defense attorney Brett McArthur said after the hearing.
“The courtroom is not a gentle place. Charlie is a very fragile personality. This has been a very distressing experience, and she felt she couldn’t go on.”
Speculation is that Rogers, the Cornhuskers’ No. 2 all-time rebounder, staged the attack so that she could make a difference in the gay community.
Rogers was charged a month after telling police in July that three masked men broke into her home in Lincoln, assaulted her and carved derogatory words into her body. A neighbor told police that Rogers crawled from her home naked, bleeding and screaming for help.
The 34-year-old could face up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine when sentenced in February.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found