Dec 7, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
The Stanford University Department of Art & Art History has a film studies division, and each year those busy elves put together a mini-film festival. Among the four films being produced this year is a hard-hitting documentary about the Stanford Tree.
Stanford’s tree mascot has a colorful history which includes many proud accomplishments, and some not so proud. Including this. And this. I haven’t seen the documentary, but I hope it’s not going to be a whitewashed version like so many mascot tree documentaries are.
Here’s how the department’s web site describes the project:
Stanford’s unofficial mascot reflects the spirit of the band from which it sprouted. Through interviews with band alumni, current band members, and the current tree herself, this documentary will give a brief look at both the roots and the current role of this campus figure.
Wait, the Stanford Tree is a girl? I had no idea.
Some fun Stanford Tree facts:
- In 2007, successfully turned back a coup attempt by two other prospective mascots — a french fry and a manhole cover — to be the Stanford Band’s official mascot.
- The new tree is chosen once every two years or so during Tree Week.
- During a 1995 men’s basketball game at Maples Pavilion, the Stanford Tree and Cal’s bear mascot, Oski, got into a fistfight in front of the Stanford student section. The Tree removed Oski’s head during the scuffle — believed to be the first time that the Cal mascot’s identity had been revealed to the public since the 1940s.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Sagan wins Stage 8 of Tour of California
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Pujols losing battle with Father Time?
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: National anthems gone wrong