Dec 6, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
The photo you see here shows policemen being trooped into the Central Headquarter of Military Police in Rio de Janiero on Tuesday, after 63 of them were arrested as part of Operation Purification.
They’re sweeping Brazil. The Olympics are coming, and the government wants everything just so.
We wonder if the Brazilian government realized just what a monumental task it was undertaking in getting things ready for both the 2014 World Cup and the ’16 Olympic Games. Operation Purification, in which 11 drug traffickers were also nabbed on Tuesday, is an effort to root out criminal members of a notoriously corrupt police force in the country. But Rio’s problems in getting ready for the two big sporting events go deeper.
- Part of the crackdown on crime involves sweeping Rio’s drug-infested slum areas, which armed gangs have controlled for decades.
- Sports infrastructure building projects are behind schedule, and officials are getting nervous.
Yesterday, the IOC voiced its concerns regarding preparations for the 2016 Olympic games. “Time is ticking,” IOC spokesman Mark Adams said in a public statement.
Even Pele, arguably the greatest soccer player of all time and a national icon in Brazil, has his doubts. “At the moment, things are not great,” the footballer said in August. “We have a little problem with the construction.”
The remodeling of Sao Januario Stadium, home of soccer club Vasco da Gama which is supposed to play host to the rugby sevens tournament, missed an Oct. 31 deadline. Officials are now talking about moving rugby to Joao Havelange Stadium instead.
But Rio 2016 president Carlos Nuzma begs to differ.
“Everything is on the way and on time,” Nuzma told reporters after his presentation to the IOC.
“The budget will be ready next year. We are in a comfortable, good situation. We are in a very good road.”
But perhaps he should double his efforts, just to be safe.
It might help if that stupid armadillo mascot would make itself useful for once and pick up a hammer.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead