Dec 6, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT
Did you see the big news? New Orleans is apparently changing its name from the Hornets to the Pelicans, and the makeover has the blessing of David Stern.
The proposed name change is not going over so well in New Orleans however. Some detractors play for the Saints, whose owner. Tom Benson, also owns the Hornets. (Roman Harper votes for the name “Sauce.” Yikes).
But before you screw up your face and dismiss the pelican as a viable nickname, here are some pelican facts:
- Fossil records indicate that pelicans have been around for more than 30 million years. Longevity and survivability: check.
- Louisiana’s state bird is the brown pelican. Because of encroachment on their habitat and man-made threats such as oil spills and other forms of pollution, some varieties of pelicans are considered endangered. And New Orleans residents should certainly be able to relate to that: this makes it the perfect animal to represent the region.
- According to Wikipedia, pelicans “roost and loaf communally on beaches, sandbanks and in shallow water” — just like John Goodman.
- The pelican was worshiped in ancient Egypt, and often appears in ancient Greek and early Christian mythology.
- They are the ultimate team players. Pelicans often fish in a group, forming a ‘U’ in the water and beating their wings to force fish into the middle for a tasty meal.
- The Pelican Brief — great movie.
In short, pelicans are awesome, and it’s about time the NBA named a team after them.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found