Dec 3, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s kind of sad that the Calgary Teddy Bear Toss only happens once a year: the rest of the world could learn a thing or two from this photo. What if the people of Earth could drop bears, not bombs?
Sunday night was the 18th annual Teddy Bear Toss at the Calgary Saddledome, and as you can see here, the Hitmen’s Pavlo Padakin is plush with pride after his first-period goal triggered an avalanche of teddys from the crowd. The bears were donated by fans in attendance, and will be distributed to local charities, children’s hospitals and the like.
Sunday’s haul was 21,453 teddy bears, tossed onto the ice by 16,912 fans following the first goal of the game (Calgary went on to beat Kootenay in the WHL matchup, 4-1).
There is no world conflict that wouldn’t look petty and ridiculous when covered with teddy bears. How great would it be if a couple thousand could be dropped into whatever boardroom the NHL labor negotiations are taking place?
On Saturday night, fans of the Hershey Bears of the AHL pelted the ice with about 12,000 teddy bears in a fundraiser for the Children’s Miracle Network (below).
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Gronk has successful surgery
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'