Dec 3, 2012, 4:44 PM EST
The really scary part is that this is the second time in two months that a soccer ref has been killed on the field by players. This time it happened in the Netherlands, in a youth match. Wait … what?
A linesman who was working a youth match in the town of Almere was punched and kicked by teenage players from the club Nieuw Sloten of Amsterdam. The incident occurred on Sunday and the ref, Richard Nieuwenhuizen, died earlier today.
Three players, whose ages range from 15-16, were arrested earlier on Monday for their alleged involvement in the beating.
A police spokeswoman Leonie Bosselaar said shortly before the Nieuwenhuizen’s death was announced that the players were still in custody and investigations are continuing. She added that police would not rule out arresting more suspects.
According to its web site, Nieuw Sloten has pulled itself from the league, which is the least you can do when your players allegedly kill a ref. A statement added that such incidents “do not belong on a football field” … um, does this actually need to be said?
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found