Dec 3, 2012, 11:02 AM EST
I’ve been waiting to become a full-fledged tennis fan until the sport worked out a few of the minor kinks. And after 800 years it appears it’s finally happened: witness the inaugural Miami Tennis Cup. Not only do they have sofas for the players and a mid-court DJ, but behold, the Maimi Tennis Cup Ball Girls. It isn’t an official pro tournament: call it an exhibition. And call it awesome.
There are fifteen Ball Girls, and yes, they have their own page on the tournament web site.
Picked through a series of tryouts, the women were trained by a professional USTA coach for a month before being set lipsticked and loose onto center court at Crandon Park.
And if chasing balls in extremely tight white pants wasn’t enough, the girls also and danced in unison during set changes. In fact, they were so much a part of the experience, Andy Roddick and eventual winner Nicolas Almagro actually turned their rackets over and had two ball girls play a point during Sunday night’s finals.
Oh, the actual results? Nicolas Almagro of Spain beat Andy Roddick in the final on Sunday, 6-4, 7-5, in Key Biscayne, Fla. On Saturday Recently Roddick downed Andy Murray, 6-2, 6-3, and Almagro beat John Isner, 6-3, 6-4.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found