Dec 3, 2012, 6:46 PM EDT
Kids say the darnedest anti-Semitic, racist things. We take you now to St. Albert, Alberta — just outside of Edmonton. It’s a place where kids can do kid things, like play hockey and hurl racist insults at their teammates. Um, what? Allegedly that’s what happened on a St. Albert Minor Hockey Association team, after multiple reports of an 11-year-old player making racist comments and phyaical threats toward teammates. Yep, 11.
During a team outing, allegedly, the team’s goalie made anti-Semitic remarks to a teammate. The mother of the targeted player told the St. Albert Gazette:
“We all went to an Oil Kings’ game on Friday and on the bus, the goalie of our team called my son a “f****** Jew,” she said, adding this player later told her son that Nazis killed Jews.
“Two parents came to me and said their sons came home in tears because (my son) had been treated so badly on the bus and they were so upset about it,” she said.
She asked her son about the incident and he confirmed the allegations.
During the team’s Sunday practice, the same player asked her son to “go away” and later threatened to kill him if he didn’t comply.
A second player from the same team, an 11-year-old biracial forward, told his parents this week that the same goalie targeted him at the beginning of the month.
The goalie told him “Your mom should go back to Africa where she belongs.”
The league investigated the verbal attacks and has suspended the player responsible. But some parents are complaining that that wasn’t enough, and want the player banned permanently. At any rate, a big kerfuffle in St. Albert.
There are no such problems in Russian pee wee hockey, by the way. Over there, kids hate each other regardless of race, creed or color.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte