Forget the beer run, Iowa families play in annual one-handed beer-carrying touch football game (video)
Dec 2, 2012, 12:38 PM EST
Question…what do you get when you have a two families, a large amount of beer, and a shared of love of football? You get the annual PBR bowl held in Emerson, Iowa.
This year’s installment (which claims to be the tenth version of event) is held every Thanksgiving at Bass Memorial Park featuring members of the Babbitt and Hembry families battling on the gridiron in a game of one-handed touch football with a beer twist.
Most of you are probably asking, what are the rules for this event? Well, here they are…
1 . You must have a PBR in your hand at all times.
2. If you drop the PBR, you must chug it and grab another.
3. 40 yard field. One hand touch. 4 downs to go 20 yards or ball will be turned over on downs. 4 more to go the other 20 to score.
4. Jerseys will be provided and they are Sweet!. Extra points still given if you can pull out your High school Jersey and or Letter Jacket. Extra points will also be given to beards and mullets.
5. We play until we get to 70 points, switching ends when one team hits 35 or until we get really tired or we run out of beer, whatever happens first.
The first PBR Bowl started in 2002 and founding member Michael Babbitt believes the event brings everyone in both families together:
“What’s more all-American male than drinking beer, playing football and hanging out after Thanksgiving?” said Michael Babbitt, another founding brother. “Everybody just knows to come. We don’t call. We don’t email. Everybody knows to show up.”
In terms of this year’s event, check out the highlights of the 70-63 Babbitt family win:
Dudes play one-handed beer football in Iowa [Bush League Chronicle]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found