Nov 30, 2012, 10:08 AM EDT
What we know: a husband and wife from Dearborn, Missouri won half of the record Powerball jackpot worth $587.5 million on Wednesday. What we thought we knew: they won it by playing the numbers of Kansas City Royals stars.
Did being a Royals fan finally pay off big for someone?
Turns out that Mark and Cindy Hill of Dearborn, Missouri did indeed win half of the record Powerball jackpot on Wednesday. But initial rumors that they played the numbers of players in the Kansas City Royals Hall of Fame seem to be false.
The numbers drawn were 5, 16, 22, 23, 29. The Powerball was 6. The huge payout represents the second-largest jackpot in U.S. history, and the largest for Powerball.
Royals fans should recognize those digits immediately. 5 George Brett, 16 Bo Jackson, 22 Dennis Leonard, 23 Mark Gubicza, 29 Dan Quisenberry, 6 Willie Wilson.
But Jeff Passan (MLB writer for Yahoo Sports) just tweeted that Cindy Hill has confirmed to him that the Royals connection was just a coincidence. The couple — although they are huge Royals fans — did not play those numbers on purpose — in fact, the winning ticket was an auto pick.
Cindy Hill, the winner’s wife, confirms that the Powerball ticket was not chosen using former Royals players. “Random,” she said.
“Although we love the Royals,” Powerball winner Cindy Hill said.
But what of the other half of that Powerball jackpot? We know that the winning ticket was purchased in Arizona … and I’m fully expecting those numbers to line up with Arizona Diamondbacks players.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Carpenter wins Indy 500 pole