Nov 29, 2012, 9:02 AM EDT
It’s only fitting I suppose that on the day after Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and Roger Clemens became eligible for Hall of Fame voting, we have a PED controversy regarding this guy. He’s Massachusetts bodybuilder Moustafa Ismail, and he says he came by these arms naturally. Others disagree.
Back in September, the Guinness Book of World Records people certified him as having the biggest upper arms in the world (31 inches). But an Internet kerfuffle followed, as many online called foul. PEDs, or even implants (ouch), are more likely reasons, they said.
Now Guinness has scrubbed references to Ismail from its site while it investigates further.
Fellow weightlifters at his gym, however, support Ismail and say they believe his arms are natural.
“When I first saw him I thought ‘Oh my God, he’s a freak’ — the big Popeye arms, he’s incredible, but he works out hard, so good luck to him,” said Janice Vincuilla.
Ismail has lifted as much as 600 pounds but said he doesn’t typically focus on how much weight he is hoisting.
“It’s not about me lifting heavy weights,” he said. “It’s about me making the right techniques, even with the light weights, but getting good results out of that.”
Ismail (motto: I yam what I yam) says he eats seven pounds of protein, nine pounds of carbohydrates and three gallons of water a day. He also scarfs poultry, seafood and vitamin supplements.
The accusations that he’s taking steroids, he said, are hurtful.
He lost a night of sleep but then decided the criticism “is motivation for me — it’s not something that’s gonna put me down.”
Even if they are chemically created, those stems are something, eh? They tread the fine line between horrifying and amazing.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Burkman and Fitch speak after shocker