Donuts — is there anything you can’t do? Man’s video project results in an Olympic miracle at the Austin, Texas, Krispy Kreme
Nov 28, 2012, 10:10 AM EDT
Our story begins like this: Austin, Texas resident Jia Jiang runs his own tech start-up company, and has been told “no” so many times by potential investors that he decided to engage in some rejection therapy. He’s doing this by making 100 random requests around town, and recording the responses on video, so all the nos will toughen him up. He’s calling his project 100 Days of Rejection Therapy.
Jiang was hoping for 100 nos, but on only his third day out, he got a yes. And what a yes it was.
Jiang entered a Krispy Kreme franchise in Austin, and asked the counter person if they could make him five donuts arranged like the Olympic rings logo. He expected to be ordered from the premises, thus earning a third “no” for his project. But instead, shift leader Jackie Braun rolled up her sleeves and got to work.
To make the request even more annoying, Jiang said he needed the Olympic donuts “in fifteen minutes.” Braun pondered that, and even sketched out a design on the back of a receipt to make sure she would get the colors right. She then Googled the Olympic logo to double-check.
A few minutes later … ta da! Olympic donuts.
It’s a Festivus Miracle!
Jiang was so taken by Braun’s can-do attitude and cheerful nature that he said it restored his faith in human nature. But not only did Braun produce the donuts, she refused payment for them, saying “This is on me. It was my pleasure.” Wow.
Jackie Braun, you win the month of November, and you are my new hero. If Krispy Kreme does not give this woman a raise, and possibly an executive position, they are missing the publicity opportunity of the decade.
This is a parable for our times: a feel-good tale that could not be more American if it tried. But most of all I’m always really excited when a plan comes together that involves baked goods.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights