Nov 27, 2012, 12:13 PM EDT
Meet Nes Andrion of Reno, Nev., now known to the world at Colin Kaepernick’s tattoo artist. Kaepernick, of course, played for Nevada-Reno, and it was during that time that he got most of his tattoos: an elaborate ink tapestry that, as it turns out, have special meanings.
Andrion told The Huffington Post that the inside of one of Kaepernick’s biceps reads, “My Gift,” and the inside of the other reads, “Is My Curse.” The top of his right bicep features the word “FAITH.”
Kaepernick likes the depiction of opposing forces, said Andrion, perhaps owing to the fact that few thought he would make it big in the NFL. Not among those was Jim Harbaugh, who moved up to snag him in the second round, 36th overall, in the 2011 NFL draft. In his second season in San Francisco, Kaepernick is 48-of-74 with a 102.3 QB rating.
Is success written in the stars for Kaepernick? The answer is shrouded in mystery. What we do know is that it is written on his upper body.
Psalm 27:3, on one arm, reads: “Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear though war break out against me, even then I will be confident.”
Psalm 18:39, on the other arm, says:, “You armed me with strength for battle; you humbled my adversaries before me.”
Kaepernick asked his parents for help picking the passages to inscribe on his arms, according to Nevada Sage Brush. “They are about asking God to help kick somebody’s butt,” his mother, Teresa Kaepernick, told the website. “When you look at them, it’s not surprising to see that an athlete chose those two verses.”
Fun facts about Kaepernick: He was born in Milwaukee, Wis., is adopted, and grew up in Turlock, CA. He was a two-time All-CIF pitcher in baseball, with a sub-2.00 ERA and 97 strikeouts in 13 starts his senior year.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings strike back
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million