Survival of the wettest: Louisiana-Monroe coach doused with Gatorade … team then fumbles and game goes to OT
Nov 26, 2012, 3:31 PM EST
There’s nothing more embarrassing than having to coach an overtime period while soaked in Gatorade. That’s what happened to Louisiana-Monroe head football coach Todd Berry on Saturday, as his team prematurely celebrated a win over Florida International by giving him the traditional Gatorade bath, thus tempting the sports drink gods and ushering disaster. (Photo here).
Louisiana-Monroe held a 17-10 lead with less than a minute remaining, and was in victory formation kneel-down mode. But then, this happened:
Before the Gatorade could even dry and the ice could melt around Berry, though, the most unlikely scenario unfolded when quarterback Kolton Browning fumbled on a miscommunicated snap with center Josh Allen on the final kneel down, and Florida International (3-9, 2-6) fell on the loose ball with 28 seconds remaining in regulation.
The Golden Panthers took two plays to score on a 58-yard touchdown reception by Willis Wright from freshman quarterback E.J. Hillard, who started in place of injured starter Jake Medlock, to send the game into overtime.
“That’s probably the craziest ending in 30 years that I’ve ever been around,” Berry said. “Just shocking.”
It would have been even more shocking had the Warhawks lost. But they squeezed out a 23-17 win.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found