News you never thought you’d read today: Bouncy castle injuries on the rise, doctors say it’s an epidemic
Nov 26, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
In my opinion, bouncy castles should only be used for crossing large bodies of water. All other uses are too dangerous. According to research by Pediatrics magazine, a child in the U.S. is sent to a hospital emergency room every 46 minutes from injuries in a bouncy castle.
And the annual rate of injury doubled between 2008 and 2010, according to the magazine.
“If this was an infectious disease that was increasing at this rate, there would be headlines across the country. But because it is an injury, it is often overlooked,” says study researcher Gary Smith, MD, DrPH. He is the director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.
Think football is dangerous? The list of bouncy castle injuries includes various sprains, cuts, strains, and fractures of the legs and arms. Also many concussions are being reported, mostly among boys. The injuries can occur just by bouncing itself, or bouncing into other children. Many injuries occurred when children bounced out of the inflatable structure, or while climbing in or out of it.
And then, this paragraph happened:
Prevention is key, says Jose Rosa-Olivares, MD. He is the medical director of the Pediatric Care Center at Miami Children’s Hospital in Florida. He routinely counsels families on some of the risks associated with bouncy castles and jumpers.
That, by the way, looks really terrific on a resume.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million