Nov 26, 2012, 12:25 PM EDT
Grinnell College (Iowa) was back in action this past weekend: four days after Jack Taylor broke the NCAA scoring record with 138 points vs. mighty Faith Baptist Bible College (363 total students) in a Div. III game. Taylor’s output in the next game was slightly less: he managed to score 21 points in Grinnell’s 131-116 loss to William Penn University on Sunday.
Taylor was a very mortal 6-of-21 from the field, including 3-of-13 from 3-point range. But hey, he had five assists! (He had zero vs. Faith Baptist).
Taylor talked with WSCR radio in Chicago last week to discuss his record-breaking day. Taylor:
“We opened our season with a tournament and I didn’t shoot too well in that tournament, especially from three-point range, and so coming into this game we made a concerted effort — my teammates and my coaches — to kind of get me going offensively before we head into conference play. I took more shots than I usually take, and halfway through the first half they kind of knew something special was going on, and we kind of just rode the wave.”
Faith Baptist also had 49 turnovers, which tends to help.
So Grinnell is 3-1 so far and has outscored opponents by an average score of 134-109. Clearly the Midwest Conference is the Arena League of college basketball.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final