Nov 24, 2012, 2:24 PM EST
College is a place where student athletes can make some questionable decisions and it appears that two freshman from the University of Iowa wrestling team should have decided against hunting small animals on campus.
Freshman wrestlers Alex Meyer and Connor Ryan were believed to be hunting rabbits at a location on the west side of campus called Skunk Hollow.
The hunting is believed to have occurred on November 18th and 20th and well, the incident report speaks for itself:
According to an incident report, a University of Iowa security guard spotted the two hunting. The same security guard later saw rabbit skins in Meyer’s room, according to a separate incident report.
University of Iowa Department of Public Safety Associate Director Lucy Wiederholt said the wrestlers were carrying pellet rifles. They also had two rabbit carcasses with them. Wiederholt said she didn’t know when the men shot the rabbits, but believes they admitted to shooting them on campus.
The two men were charged with discharging toy guns and slingshots, which is a violation of the Iowa City code; and shooting after dark, which is a simple misdemeanor. Meyer was also charged with hunting without a license, a simple misdemeanor.
Since the hunting and possession of the toy guns did violate university policy, it is unknown at this time if the freshman hunters will be punished further or expelled from the university for their hunting.
Some of you are probably asking, “Why did the wrestlers decided to hunt rabbits on campus?” Well, their actual reason may surprise you:
The men allegedly told police they were going to make hats.
2 Iowa wrestlers suspended over campus rabbit hunt [Hawk Central]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found